Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"we"

For the past couple weeks, I've been taking part in a local collaboration called "we." We were given a 10x10 inch block and told "GO!" (it was shouted at us, or at least me, as they handed out the panels). The panels are then traded three times between three different, random artists.



Block 1
I've been itching to work on collage lately, so that's precisely what I've been doing. I tried to keep it open-ended and vague while at the same time making it so the person who receives it thinks, "What the hell is this?," gets frustrated, and throws it at a baby.




Block 2
I enjoyed working on this block. The original had a few strange elements, like the holographic eye and the sculpted, eerily-realistic-feeling tongue which fed into the idea of collage. I struggled a bit in the middle but I'm happy with the paper-cutout/comic vibe going. Whoever gets it next, keep it nice... OR ELSE.



Block 3
And then there was this. I was literally sweating from nerves shortly after I got it. What was I supposed to do with this superflat egg? It reeked of spray paint. It made me wonder how two artists and a month's worth of work went into it. Then I got an idea, a wonderful, awful idea... a stupid idea.

I'm working on the egg panel now. Once its done, I'll put up photos. I'm really curious to see what happens to my other two. I'll post shots of those, too, once the show is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment